Saturday, December 25, 2010

From Dawn to 'Dust'

It has been a long time since I have been craving to go out, and finally today I decided to take the first step. I would call it a long drive as total distance covered is just over 90 km in the time span of almost 7 hours.

Yesterday, when I was in VIT, I decided to make the first move. I was really sick and tired of making plans and canceling them so this time I didn’t made any plan. This morning at 5:30 AM, I got up and Googled the places to visit near Vellore, and randomly selected one. So, there it started from Katpadi to Amrithi Forest. I just looked at map, it was showing some 28 km.

I started at 6:00 AM, with only piece of information about the route that I have to follow SH-9. I drove about 12 km from my home, and noticed a scenic way towards hills nearby and decided to change the course. I asked one of the tea vendor about the way, all I understood from his Tamil that it will also take my to Amrithi Forest area with longer route. I didn’t know what compelled me to take longer route, but after having a cup of tea there as I can’t resist ‘gumti’ tea, I followed that way. It was dawn time and the countryside view was just mesmerizing, and little fog was icing on the cake.


Though Vellore is the hottest and driest place in TN, but this time because of heavy rains it is very cold and wet. After driving for next 12 km, I missed a detour and ended up in some very backward area. I was about 8 km from Amrithi and suddenly I found the muddy road leading to a small creek. I though that I will be able to drive through the creek and I heard someone, an old lady was coming towards me trying to say something. From what I understood by her expressions and hand gestures that I shouldn’t cross that creek, then I decided to stick to my old trick and waited there for someone to pass through that creek, so that I can see how deep it is, and here are some glimpses that made me change my route. 



So, now it was time to find a way out of countryside, I backtracked to nearby village and was looking for someone I could talk to, and suddenly I heard a God send voice speaking in Hindi- “Kya Hua” (what happened?), I saw one mid aged person speaking in Hindi in one of the most remote place in TN. It was 8th wonder for me. He helped me out by suggesting another route which added another 20 km to my estimated calculations of miles. I followed the route, while making sure that I am on right road by asking people about it. I learned very important thing that even if you don’t know the language of people but expressions and hand movements (if you are in India) are enough to give you the answers of most your questions.

This new route was just awe inspiring with lush green fields and mountain side drive. I encountered some wild monkeys, peacocks and other small animals on my way and finally reached Amrithi Forest, Zoo, and conservation area.



Amrithi is one of the untouched areas for trekking point of view. As I tried to enter to jungle part to reach the waterfall, I was stopped by forest guards as flow was water was high, but great Indian ‘jugad’ again worked and I got a chance to visit the waterfall (though without camera). The Zoo is just ok and there is nothing worth mentioning, except that there are lot of imli’ (tamarind) trees, but a good place as far as this part of country is concerned. In my return journey, I decided to follow SH-9 but it was not as beautiful as the scenic road that I followed in morning and also with heavy traffic.


I must suggest that if you have two wheeler then do follow the route that I followed it is worth going. For me, Amrithi was just a place to break my ‘traveling-fast’, so I didn’t explore it much (due to restrictions there). I reached home by 12:30 PM, with goals accomplished, 90 km driving, testing of my physical condition and a few photographs (I am feeling that my hands are little rusty, as I was taking outside photograph after 1.5 years, hopefully I will get back to form soon). Yes, I had ‘banana bhajiya’ on my way back, by a vendor making it off fresh banana, and it was one of the most delicious bhajiya I had in past few months!


P.S.- Roads are more or less good, except for some patches of gravel road in between. I am still dusting my cloths, so be careful while selecting cloths. 

7 comments:

Pranali said...

i just have one things to say - W.O.W

anoop... said...

@pranali- Thank you!

Priyanka said...

Yes, WOW. :)

Loved the pics. Specially the flooded road and ppl crossing. Great shots. The man carrying the bicycle - THE BEST. I knew u ruled at B&Ws. Keep posting.

And you have great stamina driving a 2 wheeler for such a long trip. But I believe it is worth the trouble.

SIMPLEGIRL06NEHA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SIMPLEGIRL06NEHA said...

These pictures are amaazzingg......through these stills I could see the real world which I was locating only on maps. Great work

anoop... said...

@Neha @Priyanka Thanks a lot!
@Priyanka hopefully this time my stint continue

Priyanka said...

Amen! :)