Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Mr. Professor


I think I would rather say Mr. Assistant Professor, so finally after four month of search and some wavering towards the tipping point, it is OVER!

When I came from US, I had a plan of action and a set goal to achieve. It was very clear that I want to make my career in the academic field. There are couple of reasons behind it, first and foremost the fact that I love teaching and I had some great experiences in past in this field. Second, I want to make my career in the field where I have plenty of opportunities of learning and shearing so that I will never get bored. Finally, I have seen other side of life where you have lot of money but no time to spend it or your life is more like a time table where your working hour increases with your experience… and I never wanted to do that.
Before coming to India, I had some planning about what I wanted to do and where I wanted to do it… and after a deep thought I came up with three clear things-
  1. Institute should be autonomous (or deemed) where I can design my own course with my own approach and have some opportunity of research
  2. I should start with a well managed institute as I really, really don't want to get into silly things that happens in many institutes across country
  3. I want to start with a ranked institute where I can get a good start and have good prospect of progress
I must say that after a few months of search, I was preparing me to inter the industry. But, life always comes with some different plan and sometimes these plans are what you have been expecting from bottom of your heart. So, finally here I am. The very first interview call I got from VIT (Vellore Institute of Technology) University, it is ranked #1 in private engineering colleges and overall rank is #9 after IITs and BITS. A well managed institute with great infrastructure and provides a decent amount of opportunities of research (all these statements are based on a detail conversation that I had with one of the professor of VIT who meet me in a train journey). Now this interview call has transformed into an offer letter and I am keeping my fingers crossed for the new adventure of life and I wish I will get what I am expecting with VIT.

I am looking forward to join VIT next month, will keep you posted with what happens next…

5 comments:

Pritesh Jain said...

Congrats buddy.

I have heard about this place. Now that you are entering the other side of academic life, we will get to hear many new things.
I hope you will be a reasonable professor for your students. :D

All the best.

anoop... said...

thanks buddy!!!

Priyanka said...

Many Many Congratulations!!

I hope I am not too late.

All the Best for new start. I wish I could attend some of your classes. Any chance of that?? ;)

anoop... said...

sure you are most welcome!!!

Mudita said...

Many congrats Anoop!!All the best for the new beginning in your Voyage! :-)