Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Summerfest!!!

So finally rains have hit the Columbia, its nonstop raining since past 24 hours and I am enjoying it from my apartment. Evening hours were pleasant with no rains around and I have enjoyed my usual evening jogging followed by a downtown walk. The weather was humid since I came back from India and I was eagerly waiting for some rains... so it was a perfect day out there.

I went to downtown for the first time after coming back from India, it is as good as it was and finally decided to walk through Broadway and comeback to apartment. I was about to turn back and suddenly some drums and guitar sound hits my ears... I just asked my fellow that lets follow this sound. That sound took us to ninth street (the most happening street in downtown), and saw a whole concert was set up there... OMG, It was Sumerfeast- the annual summer festival of the Columbia!!! It is a 4 month long festival where country bands comes and performs once in a month with a featured pop, rock or country band. As it is a family festival so you usually see more country band... and believe me the country music is as good as any other form of music if you are listening it live. I usually don't appreciate this music on radio, but my last two encounters made me curious about this music and I feel that now I am liking this.

The country music is based on some of the traditional instruments blend with some of the modern instruments as well, today I listen banjo after a long time and it was such a great feeling to express in words. The featured band of this month was 'Crackers' (even I heard this name for the first time!!!), they were nice with a lot of use of electric guitar and modern cords. I spent about an hour there and came back as stomach was crying of hunger.

It was a good time out there and for the first time I am feeling like studying after a long period of time... so getting back to world of my research...

No comments: